Thursday, August 26, 2004

To run or not to run?

Got home at 8pm today after another long day with 400km of driving. Getting really worried about my lack of exercise, especially with my increased consumption of unhealthy snacks. Felt like just crashing out when I get home but finally decided to go for a run. Got changed, put on my shoes and I was out in the open air.

The first part of the route is quite hilly with a lot of it off road. Once I settled into the pace I started enjoying the feeling of moving quickly (for me) over different surfaces, trying to emulate the top cross country runners. Slipping and sliding on a particularly muddy uphill, I got to the first summit. It was getting near sunset with the western horizon bathed in red after days of heavy showers. Down the other side, crossing a road and then up a long rippled grassy bank. Always found the ripples (called "furrows" officially) to be good fun as you need to get a good rhythm to go smoothly over them. Might be able to see them if you looked closely at the bottom right photo in this post. Got over the final steep section to the next summit and down through the golf course on the other side, trying to dodge any flying projectiles.

By now it was getting quite dark but still a last off road section to do. Round the back of the new hospital and onto the path. The ground, still soggy from the rain, provoked some swearing as I splattered myself with some water. Trying to avoid the major puddles, I flitted from side to side, failing to keep my feet dry. End of the last off road section and back to the hard tarmac. Past the city council offices on a mild downhill. Phone rings. Answer the phone. Have to meet my dearest at train station to walk her home as it is getting dark. Less than 10 minutes to get there. Luckily quite a lot of it is downhill. Increase the pace and float down the hill. Smelt the Worcester sauce factory long before getting there. Went by quickly and powered up the little incline to the station to get there just in time.

The 10 minute evening walk was a nice warm down and saved me from having to run up the steep hill to my flat. That's why the chart below doesn't end at the same altitude as the start.



Location 52°N 2°W

No comments: