Saturday, September 25, 2004

Runs at dawn

Been getting up early at 6am the past couple of days to get my dose of running. Mainly due to finishing work late as I was working on the ring mill. The place I'm staying in this week is just wonderful. In the Rivelin Valley, it is next to the path along the river as well as steep roads climbing up either side of the valley.

I've always found getting up early and going straight for a run quite a shock on the system. Far more used to running in the afternoon / evening. Especially when there is a big steep long hill at the start. Yesterday there was just a short flat section before Hagg Hill. I did intentionally want to go up this hard hill as a test. Well all I can say is that it is bl**dy hard especially if you don't pace yourself at the start, which of course I did.


Steep hill at the start...

Today I went up the other side of the valley. The climb wasn't as steep but it was longer and the final altitude somewhat higher. Running up the hill just as the sun was rising over the horizon is a good feeling, seeing the views over Sheffield and the surrounding hills. It was a bit colder and more windy that yesterday though. Luckily a tailwind was blowing along the stretch on the top.


A bigger hill today

In my younger days, I used to avoid these hills. That was when I was at Uni in Sheffield. Just before I stopped running around 10 years ago. My running history is interesting (I was a fat kid) but will save it for some other time. Anyway, despite my increasing age (still the right side of 30, thankfully) and loss of hair, I seem to be much stronger compared to my previous spell of running, even liking the challenge of hills. Perhaps this just means mentally I am more stupid. :)


Just another typical steep hill

I find that running in the hour between dark and light (and light and dark) is wonderful. The quality of the light is amazing, especially if it the skies are clear. The blend from azure blue to crimson red to pitch black. Unfortunately this clashes a bit with my attempts taking good photos because these are also golden times for photography.


Dawn with shaky hand on camera phone

Camera phones are still not good enough for real photos, regardless of how the technology has improved. Why? Because physics still rules. The size of the lens still determines how much light you can get. And taking photos is like painting with light. You can get away to some extent with insufficient paint or lower quality paint if you are a skilled painter. However, for the best pictures you still need to choose your materials wisely. That's how I see the market going, segmenting into camera phones which are good enough for most purposes and the "real" cameras (digital SLRs) for the serious.

Now I am digressing. Sign of old age?

Location 53°N 1°W

No comments: