Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Running in pitch darkness

A city of around 3 million people, Guiyang is at around 1000m altitude. There are several parks either side of the centre with peaks that reach 1300-1400m. Decided to go for a run in Qianling Park which is right next to the hotel this morning. After a quick session of trying to memorise the map, I set off for the park. It was still pitch black at 6:15am as I went through the gates. I could just about make out the big path.

It was a simple route. Just head uphill on the big path until it ends. Try to find a smaller path which goes further uphill to get to one of the peaks. I reckoned that it should be just about bright enough to see the views when I get to the top. There were some people already in the park, some of which were doing morning exercises. There were also few who were doing the local traditional "hill singing" in reply to other similarly talented individuals all over the hills.

Got to the end of the big path after about 10 minutes of climbing. The small path was actually some steps leading into the darkness. It was that sort of weather where the rain doesn't actually fall down but just floats in the air, making the steps rather slippery. Wet stone steps and darkness don't mix well with running especially as there is often a drop to one side. Slowed down to a walking pace but the continuous steps were good enough exercise.

Up up and up some more. I am starting to like this. On a big hill in a park in a city where I have never been to. Still hearing the "hill singing" but quite some distance below me now. Got to what should be the top and found a path leading down. Good view down from here, except that it was still a bit dark and I was paying more attention to my feet in case I missed a slimy step.

Back on another big path. The rain had stopped hanging around and started coming down with a bit of a vengence. As I often say, you can't get any wetter once you are wet. Soon I was splashing through puddles in a rush to get back to the hotel where I was supposed to meet colleagues for breakfast at 7:30am.

Flew through the hotel lobby, dripping water and into the lift. Got back to the room and stuck the hairdryer on full into the shoes while I showered. Stuffed them with newspaper to soak up any remaining water and headed down for breakfast. Got a long day ahead with some work to do.


Guiyang cityscape from hotel window


Conical hills all over the place

Location 27°N 107°E

No comments: