Sunday, January 16, 2005

Odd effect of cycling

Still a tiny bit of soreness when I woke up this morning but only when the knee is bent at around 30°. Very typical sign of the IT band syndrome. Strangely it doesn't really hurt during cycling, which is what I decided to do today. If I feel it get worse I would probably turn back home. Anyway I am planning to have a week off because I'm travelling in a couple of days.

Went out with the usual Sunday group. It was a warm winter's day with some sunshine. Some areas were quite mucky from the past few days of rain which had washed the soil from the field onto the road. Got sprayed by the wheel in front despite mudguards. Face covered with spots and had a big brown patch running all the way up from overshoes to the knee. In the winter it is common practice for cyclists to wheel out the "winter training bike" which is usually an older/cheaper frame and fitted with mudguards. This saves wear and tear on the good bike for when the weather is better.

Legs felt rather sluggish. Unlikely to be due to the IT band unless it is causing me to change my pedalling stroke. A very short climb on a bad surface to get to the cafe stop. Had to engage bottom gear but still got up ok by spinning. Got cloudier and very windy on the way back. It is disconcerting when you are going along a wall or hedge and suddenly get to an opening such as a gate. You get a sharp sideways knock from the wind. Legs got progressively heavier as I got nearer to home. I know the feeling - just on the edge of blowing up. Still managed to ride up the steep hill to the apartment, very slowly though.

I don't have a computer on the winter bike. Didn't even use a heart rate monitor today. Just a simple winter ride to get a few miles in and spin the legs. I think it was around 90km. Had a second lunch at home. Eat eat eat. Usually feel very hungry after cycling but not after running. Perhaps I am not running for long enough to deplete glycogen stores and activate the feeding instinct. Strangely the IT band has stopped hurting after the ride. Very odd!!

Location 52°N 2°W

No comments: