Monday, September 20, 2004

Final 10k of the year?

Did the Brambles 10k race today. Third consecutive year I'm running it. It also incorporates the Worcestershire County Championships (a bit like a "kejohanan negeri") so there are some fast runners around. Last year the women's winner did 35 minute something but that was really fast and unusual.

Anyway I didn't do a really great race today. Did the first km a bit too quickly in 3'40". Manage to stay with a group and tried a few attacks which dropped a few people along the way. Went through a bad patch between 7-8km and got spit out from the back of the group. Went into survival mode for a while, struggling into what coincidentally was a strong headwind for this section.

Recovered a bit after the 8km sign and put together a strong finish. Got overtaken just before the entry into the stadium by someone who cut a little bit of a corner off. Tried to get back to him on the lap of the track but failed though I did manage to hold off the chasers behind me. Finished in 39'30" for 28th place. Apparently many people felt that this was a slow race, perhaps due to the gusty conditions. Winner did a short 33'. Needed to be under 36'30" to be in top 10.

Not a very good time because I am still chasing my low 38' for the year without many races remaining. Perhaps its my recent lack of training and uneven pacing. Found out that I beat the winner of last week's race by over 1 minute today. Oh I would most willingly trade this for victory last week.

Went for a walk in town later in the afternoon and did the usual Sunday afternoon things like reading the newspaper. Unlike last week, I didn't complain so much today after the race.



Location 52°N 2°W

No comments: