Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Work and play

Did the Monday early morning 2 hour drive to get to Sheffield (Rotherham actually) by 8am yesterday. Had some important visitors so had to go to another site about 50km south of Sheffield to meet them in the afternoon with my two bosses who had flown in from the US. After the presentations and site tour, had dinner with everyone at a nice old country hotel nearby in the Peak District. It was nearly 11pm by the time I got back to my hotel in Sheffield. Got the chance to drive the car that one of them uses in the UK because he was a bit tired from the jetlag and a full day of work. Didn't get to use all 225bhp since I was careful not to put my foot down too much on the twisty roads which I know so well.

Got to work for 7am today, luckily I was staying nearby (I now stay in Sheffield during the week), because we had to make a conference call with a contractor in a different time zone. Too early for breakfast at the hotel. By the time everything was done, it was already 11am. Neither me nor my boss have had any breakfast, this is despite him having run for 30 minutes at 5:30am (he has done Boston in sub 3:25 for the last 6 years except 2004) so we went to the local sandwich place. I introduced him to hot bacon, egg and tomato sandwiches in a large bun. Yes that's why a lot of people become really fat if they have this sort of thing all the time.

After another full afternoon of work, I really needed a run. Who cares if it is windy outside and the rain has made frequent appearances today. Well it's nearly autumn after all. Finally managed to get going at around 7pm in very light drizzle. Well not really rain, more a fine dispersion of water hanging in the air. Apparently the Eskimos have more than 10 words for snow. I'm sure there are plenty of words for rain in English English (as opposed to American English or Aussie English).


13km+ in just over 1 hour with a big hill

Headed out in the direction of Abbeydale Road. Planned to go along Abbeydale Road for a while and then turn right to eventually link up with Eccleshall Road near Hunters Bar. The first bit is once again a mild uphill. Hey this is Sheffield and all roads from the centre go uphill. Nothing hard, just cruising along. Past the restaurants and shops on London Road and onto Abbeydale Road proper. The rain had gone by now and the evening sun was trying its best to make an appearance.

Caught a glimpse of a runner on the opposite side of the road just behind me. Still keeping more or less the same disance behind me after a few minutes. Crossed the road to be on the same side as him. This is when the competitive instinct kicks in. It is a rare breed of runner who is not afflicted with this instinct, the only difference being how serious it is. Pick the pace up slightly, only by a little as this is just a training run. :) Checked back in the reflection from windows and cars. Ah he is still there so have to keep the pressure on - I'm sure he has increased his pace to keep up.

This continued for quite a while and I got further and further away from the centre. Went straight past my original right turn and kept on going. When I wasn't paying attention, the other runner crossed the road and increased his pace! Have to keep up... hanging on... oh you b**tard that's the end of your run!! He stopped at the entrance to a park. Now I have to run a long long way back!

Turned right at the next available junction and it was straight up a hill past Eccleshall Woods. This was a long hill as well which just kept going and going and going. Luckily I knew what this hill was like from my misspent youth in Sheffield so I didn't kill myself before the top, just got there nearly out of breath after 8 minutes of climbing. The wind had picked up and it suddenly got darker, not entirely due to the sun getting ready to pack up to go home.

Then the rain started coming. Sharp needles blown by the gusty wind right into my face. Floated over the undulations before the downhill began in its full glory. Except that it wasn't as easy downhill into a strong headwind. Over the last little sharp rise and I knew it was going to be easy going from here. Chose to avoid Eccleshall Road and instead went along the much more leafy alternative. The trees have not yet started shedding their leaves in earnest so the pavements are not yet covered in a brownish green mulch.

Finally got to the Safeway roundabout, through the underpass and made the last mild uphill dash for home. Well home as in a place to stay for the next few days. The Grosvenor House Hotel (the tall building at the head of The Moor) smack bang in the centre of Sheffield. Boring old hotel which had its glory days perhaps 20 years ago. 1 hour and 1 minute, makes it just over 13km I guess. A good run through some nice bits of Sheffield, all on the road.

Location 53°N 1°W

No comments: